Guide to Giving

There are many ways to invest in the University of North Dakota. If your preferred method does not appear below, please contact us. Every gift is acknowledged with a tax receipt, mailed or emailed 3-5 business days after the gift is received. 


To make a gift by credit card, please use our secure online giving site. We accept MasterCard, Visa, Discover and American Express. The maximum amount of a single credit card transaction is $10,000.00.


Mail your check or money order, payable to UND Foundation, to:

UND Foundation
3501 University Ave, Stop 8157
Grand Forks, ND 58202-8157

Please include our gift form with your check.

Donor Advised Funds

Giving from your donor advised fund is simple. You recommend a grant from your fund to the UND Foundation by providing the following information to the sponsoring organization:

Legal Name: University of North Dakota Foundation
Federal Tax ID: 45-0348296
Mailing address: 3501 University Ave, Stop 8157, Grand Forks, ND 58202

Name of the fund where your grant should be directed. Each sponsoring organization will have the appropriate forms to recommend the grants, which you can find by contacting the organization directly or using this app.


Please contact Stock Gifts or call us at 800-543-8764 concerning the specifics of your securities transfer including the name(s) of stock, stock symbol, number of shares, your name, and your gift designation. Click here for stock gifting instructions.

Mutual Funds
For gifts of mutual funds or other investments, please contact us at 800-543-8764 for further instructions.  

Please note that the transfer of shares in a mutual fund may require additional paperwork between the donor, mutual fund company, and the UND Foundation. As such, the donor should initiate these transfers with sufficient time to allow for the completion of the required steps. 

Wire Transfer

To wire transfer funds to UND Foundation, please notify us via email at donor relations or call us at 800-543-8764 for further instructions.

Automatic Withdrawal

Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) / Automated Clearinghouse (ACH) allows you to make your gift automatically from your checking or savings account at a convenient recurrence (monthly, quarterly, annually) by authorizing the UND Foundation to conduct the transfer. Simply complete the gift form to authorize regularly scheduled payments from your checking or savings account. Your gift will be deducted from your account until the date you indicate on the form or you notify us in writing.

Payroll Deduction (UND Employees)

University of North Dakota employees can choose to have their gifts automatically deducted from their paychecks.  Please complete this form.

Personal Property

UND Foundation may accept gifts-in-kind of personal property if the items are directly related to the mission of the University.  For more information, please contact donor relations or 800-543-8764.


Honor family, friends, classmates, or faculty by giving a gift in their name. You can leave a tribute with your online gift by clicking here. 

Memorial Trees & Benches

The University of North Dakota welcomes gifts of trees to the university campus. Many people desire a living reminder of departed loved ones or coworkers who touched their lives. Click here to learn more.

Canadian Gifts

Due to the restrictions of Canadian law, gifts to the University of North Dakota Foundation do not qualify for a charitable deduction on a Canadian tax return. Please consult your tax advisor for your particular tax situation.

*UND Foundation is a qualified 501(c)(3).  Federal Tax ID is 45-0348296.

IRA Charitable Rollover

If you are age 70½ or older, you may give up to $100,000 directly from your IRA to qualified charities without paying federal income tax on the distribution.

If you’d like to make a gift to benefit the University of North Dakota college or program of your choice, or if you’re fulfilling an existing pledge, you may choose to make a qualified charitable distribution from your IRA.

  • Distributions made under this law can be used to satisfy your required minimum distribution (RMD). Qualified charitable distributions are not limited to your RMD.
  • Instead of taking a charitable income tax deduction for the gift, you may exclude the distribution from your income.
Making an IRA gift to UND: Contact your IRA plan administrator and request a direct qualified charitable distribution from the IRA account to the University of North Dakota Foundation, a 501(c)(3) organization, with tax ID #45-0348296. Please have the check mailed to:
               UND Alumni Association & Foundation
               3501 University Ave Stop 8157
               Grand Forks, ND 58202
You must request a direct transfer of funds from your plan administrator to a qualified public charity. It is important not to withdraw funds before making a gift.
Please contact the University of North Dakota Foundation at 701-777-2611 to inform us of the gift and to let us know the specific campus, college, program, or fund you would like to benefit.

Sample Language for Will or Living Trust

“I/We give [the sum, percentage, or description of property] to the University of North Dakota Foundation, Grand Forks, North Dakota, Federal Tax ID #45-0348296, for the purpose of supporting the University of North Dakota to be used for the benefit of [the college, program, endowed fund] or [according to my written instructions on file with the UND Foundation].”

Name: University of North Dakota Foundation
Address: 3501 University Ave Stop 8157, Grand Forks, ND 58202
Federal Tax ID number: #45-0348296

This information is provided as an educational service to our donors. It is not legal or tax advice. Please consult your own professional advisors on how any charitable gift may affect your own tax situation.